Sunday 13 June 2010

Making nature count

bullfinch
Almost a year from when I last saw one, a bullfinch came to feed on geraniums in the front garden.

The photo is taken using through the window of the living room. The camera complained about possible handshake if I zoomed in too much, so I'm quite pleased with outcome considering.


grey squirrel

Saturday morning I noticed the peanut bird feeder was lying on the ground empty. My first thought was that it could be rooks, but when I went out in the afternoon I discovered the more likely culprit sitting on under the tree, peanut in its paws - a grey squirrel. I've never seen a squirrel in the garden before.

This week has been the RSPB's 'Make Nature Count' survey, so on Sunday morning I spent an hour watching to see which birds would visit the garden. The wren is the best singer, loud and beautiful, unlike the sparrows, which are just noisy.

A couple of dunnocks made an appearance - they don't feed on the bird feeders, presumably preferring insects.

dunnocks (hedge sparrows)
In the end there were eight different species that I observed during the hour. The damp weather seemed to be keeping some of the more common visitors away. Although I could hear the wood pigeons none came, and no sign of swifts, swallows, house martins or starlings.

The final count:
House sparrows - at least 8 at once.
  • Goldfinches - 6
  • Chaffinch - 1
  • Dunnocks - 2
  • Wren - 1
  • Blackbird - 2
  • Collared doves - 2
  • Jackdaws - 2

No comments:

Post a Comment